Hargreaves Land is working in partnership with property development specialists Fintry Estates on proposals for a new retail and leisure scheme in Gateshead.
The proposed development sits on the site of the former London and North Eastern Railway works at Albany Road, to the north of the A184 Felling Bypass.
Our proposals should see the development of:
- A discount foodstore of around 2,000 sqm.
- A range of other retail/food and beverage units, comprising around 6,500 sqm gross floorspace in total.
- Around 460 car parking spaces in total.
Gateshead is currently served by a range of retail and leisure developments, including those within the Town Centre, the Metrocentre and at Retail World on the Team Valley. However, with the exception of a number of freestanding foodstores and other smaller shops, which only meet day-to-day needs, provision on the eastern side of Gateshead is limited.
The Key Benefits:
- Regenerating a largely vacant site, which lies in a prominent location.
- Creating around 190 full-time equivalent jobs, as well as spin-off employment.
- Significant investment of approx. £8.6m in the local area.
- Enhancing the choice of retail and leisure facilities available to local residents.
- Reducing the need for people to travel to meet their retail and leisure needs.
- Generating additional visits to Gateshead Town Centre.